UPDATED – 3:54 PM: An SJSU Press Release was quoted by the Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal which said SJSU is going to cut, “approximately 76 staff members and reassign 48 more in accordance with labor agreements effective July 1.” Some employees are being brought in at 1:00 p.m. today to be given the news. The Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal said:
Facing a projected 2010-2011 shortfall of at least $18 million, San Jose State University said Thursday it will implement layoffs, eliminate vacant positions and reduce spending on part-time temporary faculty members. [Read More]
SJSU President Jon Whitmore reportedly said. “This will affect every division from academics to athletics to my office…” I wonder, since we are seeing a ten percent staff cut, will the university be decomitting from ten percent of the services university staff provide the university community?
- CSUEU Know Your Rights flyer on layoffs [PDF]
- Unit 9 News Post: An online newsletter for and about members of Bargaining Unit 9, represented by the California State University Employees Union (CSUEU).
- SJSU President: Layoffs “Part of Our Planning”
- San José State University Budget Update 4/15/2010 (San José State University News)
- San José State Announces Non-Faculty Layoffs (San José State University news release)
- Contract Article 24: Layoff
- Full CSU-CSUEU Contract
- CSUEU Chapter 307: San José
- SJSU News Releases