First a little background
I am concerned that human powered vehicles pose a safety risk to their operators and pedestrians at SJSU.
- As an employee I am concerned about the risk to students and employees.
- As a parent of young adults I am concerned that many of the operators of these devices are prone to take risks.
- As a parent of an SJSU student I am concerned that this is a dangerous situation that the university, in my opinion, is ignoring.
- As a taxpayer I am concerned that the university is taking on a financial risk by assuming liability in the event of a lawsuit arising from this flawed practice.
- As a bicyclist myself I am all too aware of the hazards of improper use of human powered vehicles.
Because university employees are covered by a collective bargaining agreement I filed a grievance under our union contract. I documented my concerns and the grievance here, on this blog. But, I have received a lot of support from folks who are not covered by our union contract. So, I have decided to shift the attention here, to this blog, that will be focused on this issue exclusively.